Anytime Feedback Toolkit - People Science Guidance and FAQs

• 28 October 2020
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge

Feedback matters.

You have probably heard this more than once. Feedback allows people to learn, develop, and make improvements on the job. But many share negative experiences with feedback or the process.

How do we make feedback work? It turns out feedback is most helpful when employees seek diverse feedback on an ongoing basis. In this guide, we share some tips to help you do that.

You might find it challenging to seek feedback, and you are not alone. In Glint’s research, we found that one in four employees feel that asking for feedback is too much work. The good news is – practice makes people more comfortable and get better with both seeking and giving feedback.

1. Reach out to a few people to get started. Think about a handful of people (approx. 2-3) who have had a chance to observe your performance in a meaningful way in the last couple of weeks. They might be on the same team with you, cross-functional team partners, or attendees of common meetings or events. Reach out to them and ask for feedback using one of the Feedback templates available to you in Glint. Over time, try asking different people so that you can gain new perspectives.
  2. Reflect on the feedback and think about what you might do with it. It is important that we are open to others' perspectives and opinions. That doesn't mean we have to agree with everything that is stated, but use the time to reflect using the following questions (if helpful): ● What is my first thought about this feedback? ● What is the most important thing I can learn from this feedback? ● How can I use this feedback to develop myself? ● What action will I take based on this feedback?
  3. Thank the feedback giver and ask questions if you have any. Send a quick thank you to the feedback giver. It helps to reinforce the habit. If you have any questions about the feedback, go ahead and ask.

Feedback FAQs

Q - How many people should I ask for feedback? 

A - While there is no one magic number, a general rule of thumb is that you ask 2-3 people each month. As you think about your possible feedback providers, consider the recency and frequency of your interactions. The ideal feedback giver will have had a recent or sustained opportunity to make observations. It is often challenging to remember details and provide meaningful feedback if an encounter was brief or more than a month ago. Avoid asking the same person/people every time.

Q - How often should I request feedback?

A - As often as it’s helpful to you, as long as it’s not creating unreasonable demand on the feedback givers. If you are a newcomer, you may reach out for feedback more often than others. If you are a senior leader, chances are you are not asking feedback often enough. Generally, find at least 2-3 opportunities each month to seek feedback.

Q - Should I share the feedback with my manager?

A - It is up to you whether to share the feedback verbatim with your manager. However, we strongly recommend you use your ongoing 1:1 time with your manager to discuss what you’ve learned from the feedback and what thoughts you have on incorporating it into your development.

Q - Can I ask feedback from my leader (skip level)?

A - Yes, if you believe they can provide you with meaningful feedback because they have had a chance to observe your performance.

Q - What if I don’t agree with the feedback or find it useful?

A - It can happen. You might receive feedback that you find upsetting, incredible, or biased. The best you can do is to reflect on it and follow up with the feedback giver. If you feel comfortable, share how you feel about the feedback and ask clarifying questions you have. Remember, many of us are learning how to give quality feedback. Sometimes we are closer; other times we fall short.

Q - I requested feedback, but the person wants to talk rather than writing it down.

A - You might prefer having written feedback but it’s important to think about the comfort level of others. Talking to the feedback giver may provide greater detail or allow them to elaborate on a sensitive topic. Consider talking first and following up with written feedback requests in the future.

0 replies

Be the first to reply!