Question

Updating benchmarks

• 12 November 2020
  • 8 replies

Badge

Hello could anyone tell me when the benchmarks are updated please?

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @louise.parsons,

Our People Science team updates external benchmark data annually. You may find this People Science Explained article helpful. It also explains the reasoning behind the annual update:

“We find annual to be the right cadence for updating benchmarks given our observations on the stability of norms over time. This cadence strikes a good balance between capturing industry trends and retaining robustness.”

Kind regards,

Ellen

Badge

Hi Ellen

Yes thanks I have read that.  I was actually looking for the date that it is updated?  We have targets based on the HPN and want to know when they are likely to change.

Thanks

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @louise.parsons,

The benchmark review happens on a rolling schedule annually, so typically a quarter of the benchmark suites are updated every three months. Benchmarks would be updated when there are statistically significant changes over time. It isn’t a set schedule as such so we can’t share specific dates.

Kind regards,

Ellen

Hi @louise.parsons,

The benchmark review happens on a rolling schedule annually, so typically a quarter of the benchmark suites are updated every three months. Benchmarks would be updated when there are statistically significant changes over time. It isn’t a set schedule as such so we can’t share specific dates.

Kind regards,

Ellen

Hi Ellen--

Given that some items are being heavily impacted by the current state of things in the world, it would be useful to understand when the last refresh for items happened (surely the benchmark for work-life balance looks a little different than it did a year ago today). Is this possible?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @kwise,

That’s a great question and a valid concern.

I’ve checked for an update and the benchmarks are frozen for now and we are currently using pre-March 2020 customer survey data only due to instability of items. We will continue to monitor post-March customer data to understand the extent to which recent employee experiences define a “new normal,” and the effect this has on our publication of revised benchmarks going forward. The expectation is to go back to the quarterly schedule as described above with the next update, which is expected next quarter.

Thanks,

Ellen

Badge

I agree with @kwise . Workload and motivation are heavily impacted and my managers are asking for relevant benchmark. To use a benchmark pre-March 2020, does not feel relevant for a Covid-19 pulse which we have monthly.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @kwise and @cecilia.karlsson - Because employees and orgs respond to the kind of instability we’ve been experiencing so differently, it wasn’t statistically appropriate to update benchmarks in the midst of it. That's why the analytics team have been taking the time to analyze and review the data and Glint’s overall benchmark approach, waiting to establish "truer" benchmarks based on what we are seeing play out after the course of a full year.

I remember early in the pandemic, Glint’s advice was to really focus inward - how are your scores trending over time? - as a) no one knows what “good” looks like right now, and b) this is more relevant to what your own employees are experiencing in the midst of your companies’ response. If it would be helpful, I’ll find some of the PS webinars we hosted at the time that talked about that.

We have also been releasing Insights Reports (our most recent is last quarter- this quarter’s will be coming out very soon) that will give a sense of how other orgs have been doing month over month, but want to be much more cautious about statistical benchmarks.

I hope this helps!  We definitely understand the hunger for comparison right now.